|Korg DW-8000, cleaned and up-and-running.|
Today, I'm pleased to announce that all the issues listed above have been addressed, to the best of my abilities. There wasn't a lot I could do to improve the key-bed, but I've at least cleaned and re-felted it.
What follows is an illustrated tour. Perhaps it will help you service your own DW-8000 some day. I found the following links indispensable during the process: Korg DW-8000 battery replacment @ pallium.com and this thread on Gearslutz.com about disassembling the keybed.
First I opened it up. Several screws (and two rubber feet) are missing from the bottom of my DW-8000 so there aren't as many screws to remove as there ought to be! I found it helpful to draw a map of where they go. I didn't do this with the internal screws, although I probably should have: instead opting to keep them grouped in separate containers.
It soon became apparent that to effect all my repairs I'd have to completely separate the two halves of the synth. This required unplugging approx. ten connectors connecting the lower circuit-boards to the upper, and unscrewing the power button/connector mount. The circuit-board with the backup battery attached was then completely removed so I could de-solder the old battery and fit a battery holder. If I'd given it more thought, I'd have extended the leads of the battery holder so that I could hot-glue it to the chassis. I made do with zip-tying it to one of the wire bundles.
|The bottom-half, separated. The board with the battery is the center one.|
|Replacement battery holder (photo taken after reassembly).|
|Outer casing after cleaning.|
|The innards removed, tact-switches exposed.|
|Removing the keys.|
|The initial state of the keyboard frame. The brown lines correspond to gaps in the keys.|
|New felt vs. old felt.|
|Treated cigarette burn.|
|Key contact assembly: note gunk on black rubber pads and black specks on circuit board.|
|Not perfect, but here's how it came up after swabbing.|
|Circuit-boards going back in.|
|Reinstalling the key clips. I recommend wearing gloves to spare your fingers!|
|Ready to reattach connectors. Note the labels so I could get them back in the right spot!|
The Korg DW-8000 is equipped with MIDI, but I was unable to find the Bank A factory presets in sysex format anywhere on the web. However, an audio file in machine language can be found here, and was successfully loaded via the tape data input.
I'll leave you with this short video: factory program number 77 proving a successful re-loading of the factory presets and fully functioning unit!